What keeps you awake at night? what is one thing that keeps you on your toes?. The answer to this question is probably the core tenet of your profile and also your organization’s expectation from you. It is good to know the answer to this question since it also helps in prioritizing your tasks at work. Here are some replies that I often to get to listen.
- too many bugs towards the tail end of the release
- long backlog list, I have too many features to add to the product
- competition, losing too many orders to them
- scope creeps
- over demanding stake holders
- Unreasonable customer demands
- opportunities in market place
- too much interference from top management
- product road map
- …..many more
The answer to this question is important for you. Should this concern be your top focus? Is this concern taking away crucial hours from your planned strategic work, if so you are prone to spend significant amount of your time in coming days doing firefighting. Spend sometime, to begin with may be every week to get answer to this question. List down your top concerns and be sure you have strategic plan for concerns that are your priorities and permanent alternate solutions for concerns that are not part on top of your to-do / KRA list.